Veterans' Benefits

When a veteran passes away, families often wonder what their loved ones may be entitled to as a member of the armed services. As funeral directors, the paperwork that we must have to establish eligibility for any of these benefits is a copy of the veteran's discharge papers (DD-214) or a Statement of Service. More documentation will likely be required if applying for additional benefits through the VA, but either of these will usually suffice for determining basic eligibility. Please read below the possible burial benefits for a qualifying veteran. If we can help to answer your questions, please do not hesitate to call us at (773) 767.2166 in Chicago or (708) 839.8999 in Willow Springs or email us.

Veterans' Burial Benefits


Veteran Cemetery

Burial in a National Cemetery

The local national cemetery is Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery located in Elwood, Illinois. Who is eligible for burial in a national cemetery? Members of the armed forces who have met the minimum active duty requirements, their spouses and dependents can be buried in any of these cemeteries. They must also be discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. The cemetery will not reserve a space ahead of time, but once a veteran or his/her spouse has passed, an additional space will also be reserved. All headstones are provided at no charge and are uniform.

Veteran Headstones

Headstones (VA Marker) in a private cemetery

The VA will provide a marker, usually flat granite or bronze, at no cost to the family. **Please Note: The marker is free of charge; however, most cemeteries do charge a fee for the installation of these markers.

Veteran Funeral

Military Honors

We will request for a military detail to be present at the committal service from the specific branch of the service. They will play Taps, fold and present the flag to the family. Military honors can be performed not only at the cemetery, but also at the funeral home during a chapel service. However, they can only be performed once. We will help guide your family as to what location best suits your services choices.

Presidential Memorial Certificates

Presidential Memorial Certificates

With a copy of a veteran’s discharge papers, we will request a certificate in recognition of your loved one's service.

Burial Flag

Burial Flags

One American Flag is provided for every veteran, providing the necessary documentation is present.

Veteran Medallion

Veteran Medallion

The Veterans Administration is now furnishing upon receipt of claim, the Veteran Medallion, for placement on a privately purchased headstone or crypt. Any deceased Veteran, who served on or after April 16, 1917; who was discharged under honorable conditions; and whose grave is marked with a privately purchased headstone or entombed in a crypt, is eligible. If a deceased veteran already has a VA headstone, then they would not be eligible for the medallion. To apply, click here for a claim form. Complete the claim form, enclose a copy of the veteran’s discharge papers and send to:

Memorial Programs Service (41B)
Department of Veteran Affairs

5109 Russell Road
Quantico, VA 22134-3903.

Veteran Graveside

Reimbursement of Burial Expenses

VA burial allowances are partial reimbursements of an eligible Veteran’s burial and funeral costs. Typically, a veteran must be disabled from a service-related injury, pass away in a VA hospital or VA contracted facility and/or be collecting a service pension to possibly qualify for these allowances. We can determine if there would be any reimbursements at the arrangement conference

To request more information regarding veteran benefits, visit the Veterans Administrations website. To request military discharge papers (DD-214), please visit the National Archives website.

Contact Us